Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Red Potato Soup


It's officially fall: today I whipped up a big ol' pot of home made potato soup. I had never actually made it before, but I found this recipe for creamy red potato soup and it turned out really well!

I made just a few changes:

*I added a large diced carrot into the mix at the beginning, a little bit extra beyond the 4 cups of potatoes, and about an extra 1/4 cup of chicken broth to make up for the extra ingredients.

*Once I put the pot on to simmer, I started cooking some bacon and then added two tablespoons of the bacon grease into the chicken stock/simmering mixture to give it a little extra flavor.

*I used 1 cup of milk and a 1/2 cup of Heavy Cream instead of just milk. I think this makes it a little creamier and eliminates the need for any flour.

*I only used about 1 cup (half a bag) of the shredded cheese. I think if you have the extra on hand and just use it for garnish, it's plenty.

*I filled up our mini-food processor with a few spoonfuls of the soup AFTER I put the milk in and whipped that. It came out looking like mashed potatoes, and then I put it back in and mixed it up. As suggested in the recipe, using this method helps make it partially creamy and still partially chunky.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment