Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Paula Deen's Biscuits

Break out the butter, we're making some Paula Deen biscuits, ya'all!

(Oops. Didn't actually get any pictures until most of the biscuits had been put onto plates.)

I've been wanting to make home made biscuits for a while, but I always thought it would be more complicated than it actually was. I think I just tend to avoid bread because of the thought of yeast, or kneading, or letting it rise, or anything along those lines. This recipe from the Food Network was actually really simple.

Ingredients

2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
8 tablespoons butter, cubed (the tinier the better!)
3/4 cup milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all dry ingredients in bowl and mix together. Cut butter into mixture until it is fairly spread out throughout the flour mixture. Don't worry if it's not totally mixed in, I found it was easier to just knead it all together after adding the milk.

Add a little of the milk at a time and knead together, making sure to get all of the flour and work the butter into the mixture.

Flour a section of your (clean) counter, and you can now roll out the dough into the desired thickness and use a cookie cutter to cut biscuits, or just eye ball it and tear off sections. I divided the dough in half and then made four little balls out of each half and kind of pressed them down onto the flour to flatten them out a little bit. The recipe claims that it makes 3 dozen biscuits, but I'm not sure where that came from... you should get 7 or 8 big fluffy biscuits out of it.

Butter a skillet and place the biscuits in the skillet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You can brush or drizzle with a little bit of melted butter a few minutes before they are done to get a more golden look to them.

Use as you please! Today I used them for biscuits and gravy. I'd give you a gravy recipe, but I'd be lying if I said I measured out ANY part of that. I will tell you I used a pound of "Hot" ground sausage, milk, flour, a tablespoon of bacon grease, salt, and pepper.

(Biscuits and gravy always taste better than it looks, doesn't it?)

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment