Saturday, September 3, 2011

Gorgonzola Pancetta Smothered Chicken

Another How Sweet It Is recipe for you, with a few additions of my own. This combination of flavors is NOT for the faint of... mouth? There are definitely some really strong flavors, and if you don't like Gorgonzola, this may not be for you. I will say, however, that the intensity of the gorgonzola, pancetta (basically Italian Bacon), and arugula work wonders together when combined. And not to mention, this recipe let me use the gorgonzola and pancetta from that amazing little neighborhood Italian Market of ours.

You can find the How Sweet It Is Recipe HERE.

For the flour mixture, I added salt, pepper, a little bit of paprika and garlic powder, and then this Italian herb mixture (oregano, thyme, basil, garlic, black pepper, tarragon, red bell pepper, chives) and then "fried" it in a little layer of olive oil mixed with a dash of truffle oil.





After adding the gorgonzola to the top of the chicken, I went ahead and threw a lid on the pan for just a couple of minutes with the heat on medium-low to allow the cheese to really melt. I suppose you could also throw the ban under the broiler in your oven for 2 to 3 minutes to get the gorgonzola nice and bubbly, but I would recommend adding the pancetta prior to placing under the broiler. Just be sure to keep a close eye on it!

(I also threw the chicken onto a paper towel for just a minute before plating it to get any extra oil off, but this isn't really a necessary step, especially if you're serving with an arugula base.)




How Sweet suggests combining with a side of rice or salad, and I found that arugula made an excellent addition and took the flavor up somehow even more. Arugula is another really stong flavored ingredient, particularly when raw, but I drizzled it with olive oil and then sprinkled a little salt and some cracked pepper on top and found that it was REALLY good when taken in bites WITH the chicken.



And one last tip: it goes great with Kim Crawford Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc... which is only my favorite wine, ever.



Hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment