Sunday, July 17, 2011

Restaurant Review: FARMbloomington

Back from another round of laptop problems with a review of a restaurant from Bloomington, IN that I somehow JUST managed to try. FARMbloomington, located on Kirkwood Avenue just off the square, which focuses on using "local foods with global flavors". According to the website, the menu changes seasonally and based on the Chef's inspirations, and from what I experienced it is a pretty diverse menu.

Prices can range from $13.50 for a pizza to $30+ for an entree (though most are in the $20 range), but it is all well worth it! A current summer menu can be found HERE.

We started with the FARMfamous Garlic Fries as an appetizer. I first became totally obsessed with garlic fries when visiting San Francisco, and let me tell you: these garlic fries would make SF proud. They are perfectly crisp, covered in garlic, parmesan, chili flakes, and a Turmeric Aioli and come with a side of garlic mayonnaise for dipping. DELICIOUS! For $8 you can get a large bowl big enough for plenty of people to share!


For dinner I had the Jim Fiedler's Spicy Chorizo Sausage pizza ($13.50). Thin crust, woodstone oven baked with chorizo, jalapenos, grilled onions, spinach, and garlic... also delicious! The flavor combination was really good, and the crispy crust melded with the cheese and was perfectly accented with the little kick of jalapenos. It is definitely not for anyone who doesn't like a little spice! The pizza took up a large plate, but as I said was a very thin crust. I ended up taking about half of it home after the garlic fries, but without an appetizer it is a pretty good sized portion.


My brother had the FARMbeef Burger ($15) which was truly the largest burger I have ever seen! It was served on what looked like French Bread and with a red-potato salad. He added Goat Cheese and Bacon, and the flavor combination was fantastic... I know because I might have snuck a little bite ;-)! My dad did the Thai-Tamarind Grilled Pork Chop ($22), pictured below, which can be found on the menu linked above, and absolutely raved about it.


If you're ever in Bloomington and looking for a unique, nice, and absolutely delicious restaurant I highly recommend giving FARMbloomington a try. FARM also has a market & cafe and a bar on top of the restaurant. Find out more HERE. I only wish I had caught a picture of the inside of the restaurant, as it is done in a very homey but open "farm house" feel. I guess you'll just have to check it out for yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment