1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces red food coloring
2 tablespoons cocoa (heaping)
1 cup buttermilk
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 large can of frosting if you're doing a double layer cake, small can if you're doing a 9x13, or use frosting recipe of your choice.
Red Velvet Cake Directions:
1. In a larger mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. In another bowl, mix red food coloring and cocoa until cocoa is completely dissolved. Add to the creamed mixture.
4. Mixing on low speed, add buttermilk and flour alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well but do not overbeat to ensure a light fluffy cake.
5. Add vanilla flavoring, mix well.
6. Blend the baking soda into the batter.
7. Transfer into two floured and greased 9 inch round cake pans. (Or 9x13 pan)
8. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool, and then frost once completely cool to the touch. (If using the 9x13, just use the "toothpick check" to make sure it's done- insert a toothpick, or fork, into the center of the cake and make sure when it's removed it doesn't have any batter stuck to it, crumbs are ok!)